Who doesn’t want to have long, lush, and thick eyelashes? There’s just something about having full lashes that brings out the allure of your eyes. It evokes class, beauty, and mystery, especially when partnered up with your favorite eye makeup. But just how does one get those thick lashes without any attachments or surgeries? The answer: Latisse®. This treatment is offered by the experts at A Younger You in Burlington and Brookfield, and it may be just what you need to look and feel your best.
Latisse® is the key to unlocking those beautiful and long eyelashes. If you are a woman who values her beauty, this is a natural and safe way to make your eyes look great.
What is Latisse®?
Latisse® is the only FDA-approved medication for eyelash enhancement. It goes under the medical name “bimatoprost ophthalmic solution.” This solution is 0.03% bimatoprost, a prostaglandin analog prescription used in the management of ocular hypertension. It is commonly prescribed to glaucoma patients, used topically (as eye drops) to control the progression of the disease. Prostaglandins are found naturally in our bodies, and they perform different functions in the cells and tissues, such as reducing inflammation and decreasing intraocular pressure by controlling the outflow of aqueous eye fluids.
Bimatoprost is marketed under the trademark Lumigan (marketed in Canada, the United States, and Europe by Allergan). It was originally used in glaucoma treatments, but doctors noticed a beneficial side effect: patients started having longer, lusher, and fuller eyelashes. This discovery prompted the pharmaceutical company to create a new market for the cosmetic prescription. In December 2008, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved a cosmetic formulation of bimatoprost commercially sold as Latisse®.
The way the product works is not fully understood yet by clinical studies. Eyelashes sprout from the hair follicles along the eyelids; this product is believed to stimulate the hair follicles, encouraging a fuller and longer growth and also extending the lifespan of the newly grown hair.
How to Apply It
Latisse® is a topical prescription applied by brushing it along the upper eyelid lash line using the official applicator (not on the eye itself). The solution automatically spreads to your lower lash line when you blink.
Tips on using the product include:
- Make sure you remove any makeup or contact lenses ahead of time.
- Dab the sterile applicator on the solution.
- Brush the solution gently on the lash line on the upper eyelid.
- Do not brush more than twice.
- Do not apply it on your lower lid (according to the manufacturer’s instructions).
- Be careful not to brush the solution on other areas around the eyes.
- Only use the prescribed applicator once – do not reuse!
- Ideally, apply the solution once every evening.
- After two months, you should begin to see results.
- Your eye doctor may recommend a different treatment schedule, so it’s important to consult accordingly.
Make the Most Out of Your Eyelashes
Having long eyelashes is already beautiful enough, but you can make it even better by applying makeup. Because Latisse® is a treatment that typically takes only a few minutes to apply, you can immediately put on your best makeup afterward.
Some makeup tips include:
- Apply a neutral eye shadow color (should match your skin tone) over the eyelid.
- Follow it up with a darker shade (two tones darker, or whatever is in vogue) along the outer corner of the eyelid and then blend nicely.
- You can add glitter or shimmery color.
- Primp your eyelashes using a curler.
- Apply two coats of mascara on the upper lashes.
- Apply one coat on the bottom lashes.
- Apply highlighter on your brow areas.
- If you want a more seductive look, you can opt for a cat’s eye look by using an eyebrow pencil.
- If you wear contact lenses, make sure to apply them before applying makeup.
What are the Expected Results?
According to studies, users experience the best results after 16 weeks (4 months) of use. The reported results are:
- Eyelash thickness increased by 106%
- Length increased by 25%
- Darkness increased by 18%
This is a prescribed prescription, so always consult with your eye doctor before using the prescription. Likewise, consult if you don’t get any results after 2 months, or if you experience side effects.
Who are Good Candidates?
Almost everyone and anyone who wants to achieve those beautiful and long eyelashes can qualify for the treatment. With that being said, the candidate must:
- Be in good physical health
- Be in good mental health
- Get a prescription from a qualified professional
- Have realistic expectations
Since this is still a prescription, there are potential undesired results to anyone with not-so-ideal conditions. Our team will make sure to take your medical history to determine whether you can use the prescription. As is the case with any treatment, there are certain things that can disqualify a person from undergoing the treatment. For example, it’s not a good idea for people with certain eye conditions or women who are pregnant or lactating.
Is It Safe?
According to clinical studies conducted before FDA-approval and after its commercial release, Latisse® is proven safe for most people. However, as mentioned above, the prescription isn’t for everyone, especially those with medical conditions like conjunctivitis or a stye, or someone with severe allergies. Because the bimatoprost active ingredient in the solution decreases intraocular pressure, it is not fit for anyone already using intraocular pressure prescriptions for glaucoma or ocular hypertension. Users have reported no problems or harmful side effects when the prescription got into their eyes.
Latisse® is a prescribed prescription. In other words, you cannot buy it over-the-counter as you will need to have a consultation with a qualified provider. If you want to know more this amazing product, our experts at A Younger You will gladly assist you. Our team will welcome you and determine if you qualify for the treatment. We have offices located in Burlington and Brookfield, and we happily serve clients throughout the surrounding areas. Contact us today to schedule a consultation and get started on your journey to achieving the long, beautiful eyelashes of your dreams!